The Board of Trustees submits a capital request to the state legislature for capital funding during every even-year legislative session. The system-wide Capital Budget is comprised of a request for Higher Education Asset Preservation and Renewal (HEAPR) funding and individual capital projects and initiatives to renew and address changing market conditions, opportunities and strategic direction of our campuses. The process is further sketched out in the following links.
Capital Budget Overview
A summary overview of the capital budget process and how it works.
Capital Planning Process
Capital process diagram which demonstrates the flow of information between the campuses and the System Office.
Accessing the Capital Budget Sharepoint Site
Instructions for campus access to the system's capital budget Sharepoint site. The site is the document repository for ongoing capital budget requests, including Higher Education Asset Preservation and Replacement (HEAPR).
2018 Capital Budget
Preparing the Request
- 2018 Capital Program Guidelines. Guidance used in scoring capital project submittals for 2018 capital budget request. Approved by the Board of Trustees March 16, 2016.
- Schedule for 2018 Capital Budget Request. Last updated: April 2016
- Project Forms
- Scoring Forms
- Webinar - A&E - What you need to know about the 2018 Capital Budget Process. Originally broadcast May 3, 2016. This webinar targets architects and engineers on preparing a 2018 capital budget request. The webinar also included highlights on the system's updated predesign guidelines.
- Slides - from A&E - What you need to know about the 2018 Capital Budget Process and Predesign Guideline Updates
2016 Capital Budget
2016 Capital Budget Request
- Official Capital Bonding Request to State of Minnesota. Submitted in the State of Minnesota's capital budget system on October 16, 2015.
- 2016 HEAPR List - December 2015. An update to the original $110 million list posted in August.
- 2016 HEAPR List - As of April 4, 2016
- 2016 HEAPR list - Preliminary - As of August 2015. This is a preliminary $110 million list of HEAPR projects as part of MnSCU's capital budget request. This list is subject to change to reflect updated priorities among the campuses.
- 2016 Bonding Book - Making Minnesota Work (published August 10, 2015)
Preparing the Request
- How to Host a Bonding Tour - 2016 Edition. This is a summary guide on how to host a capital bonding tour on your campus.
- 2016 Capital Budget Request. Updated to $254 million to reflect project request adjustments.
- 2016 Capital Budget Request. The $262 million ($211 million state support/$50.6 million MnSCU support) list was approved by the Board of Trustees at its June 16-17, 2015 meeting.
- 2016 Capital Budget Instructions (published June 6, 2014). Provides instructions needed to prepare a capital project request for the 2016 capital budget cycle. Includes details on process, schedule, scoring form sample, and statutory information.
- Predesign Update Instructions (published June 11, 2014). Special instructions and examples for updating predesigns of projects partially funded in a previous biennium or projects being resubmitted for a 2016 capital budget request.
- 2016 Capital Project Inflation Schedule (last updated May 2015). Project inflation rates to be applied to FY2016-17 Capital Project Requests. Source: Minnesota Management & Budget and CPMI.
- Example Analysis for Alternative Energy Sources. (from Mn Dept of Administration)
- 2016 Capital Budget Project Narrative and Cost Workbook. (originally published July 11, 2014; updated July 14, 2014). Workbook used to submit projects for the 2016 capital budget process. All projects must include a completed workbook.
- Submitting the Capital Project Request. Submit your captial project request material for 2016 via Sharepoint. Plan to upload your predesign documents and workbooks to the site. StarID required to access site and load documents.
For questions about the capital budget, please contact Greg Ewig, Director, Capital Development, 651.201.1775 or email@example.com.