The Board of Trustees submits a capital request to the state legislature for capital funding during every even-year legislative session. The system-wide Capital Budget is comprised of a request for Higher Education Asset Preservation and Renewal (HEAPR) funding and individual capital projects and initiatives to renew and address changing market conditions, opportunities and strategic direction of our campuses. The process is further sketched out in the following links.
Capital Budget Overview
A summary overview of the capital budget process and how it works.
Capital Planning Process
Capital process diagram which demonstrates the flow of information between the campuses and the System Office.
2016 Capital Budget
Preparing the Request
- 2016 Capital Budget Instructions (published June 6, 2014). Provides instructions needed to prepare a capital project request for the 2016 capital budget cycle. Includes details on process, schedule, scoring form sample, and statutory information.
- Predesign Update Instructions (published June 11, 2014). Special instructions and examples for updating predesigns of projects partially funded in a previous biennium or projects being resubmitted for a 2016 capital budget request.
- 2016 CPMI Building Project Inflation Schedule (current as of March 2015). Projected rates for FY2016-17 Capital Request.
- Example Analysis for Alternative Energy Sources. (from Mn Dept of Administration)
- 2016 Capital Budget Project Narrative and Cost Workbook. (originally published July 11, 2014; updated July 14, 2014). Workbook used to submit projects for the 2016 capital budget process. All projects must include a completed workbook.
- Submitting the Capital Project Request. Submit your captial project request material for 2016 via Sharepoint. Plan to upload your predesign documents and workbooks to the site. StarID required to access site and load documents.
2015 Capital Budget Request
- 2015 Capital Budget Request. Approved by the Board of Trustees.
- 2015 HEAPR List. The $67.5 million HEAPR request was shared with the legislature in January. This list is subject to change as circumstances warrant.
2014 Capital Budget Information
Results of the 2014 Legislative Session
- 2014 Funded HEAPR Projects. The system received $42.5 million to use toward repair and replacement projects throughout the system.
- 2014 Capital Projects Funded in the Bonding Bill. The system received $159.2 million worth of funding for critical capital projects during the recent legislative session. Check on progress here.
Capital Budget Request
- 2014 Higher Education Asset Preservation and Replacement (HEAPR). (March 2014) This contains MnSCU's $110 million list of repair and replacement projects organized by campus. Specific projects and costs will depend on the final appropriation level and university facility conditions at the time of appropriation.
- Governor's Bonding Recommendations. Contains Governor Dayton's capital budget recommendations for 2014. MnSCU's recommendation starts on page 19.
- Submitted Projects in the Capital Budget System. The system's capital project documents submitted to Minnesota Management and Budget.
- 2014 Capital Bonding Book. "Building Opportunities: Ensuring Access to an Extraordinary Education for All Minnesotans." This publication describes the system's 2014 capital budget request including project by project descriptions.
- 2014 Capital Bonding Request. Summary list of projects approved by the Board at its June 2013 meeting.
Preparing the Request
- Hosting a Legislative Tour. This short pdf describes the basics of hosting a legislative tour for a 2014 capital project.
- 2014 Capital Budget Scoring FormDescribes the criteria used to score capital projects for 2014.
- 2014 Capital Budget Schedule
- 2014 Capital Budget GuidelinesApproved April 2012 for the 2014 Capital Bonding scoring.
- Guidelines for Carry Forward ProjectsProjects that have been funded during previous capital bonding cycles require updated details on the submittal.
- Predesign Review FormForm used to evaluate predesigns for complete submittals.
- Predesign Update GuideDocument used to provide guidelines to consultants and campuses when preparing predesigns.